Resting



We went out to the wilderness about an hour or so east of us yesterday. We wandered thru one hundred year old tunnels, an old growth forest, and watched salmon in a crazy fast river stopped in a pool, resting.


It was quite the sight actually. A clump of about 2 dozen or so salmon, all stopped, side by side, gathering their strength for the next set of crazy, high, fast, rapids that were only about 25 yards upstream from them.




We waited and waited to see them attempt the falls, and gave up waiting, on account that they were resting longer than we were prepared to wait. (there's a lesson in there too I think) Walking further on downstream from the resting salmon, we came upon another set of fast rapids, over jagged, ragged, rocks, and I thought, "yeah, no wonder they're having to rest". Not only had they come thru some dangerous, and exhausting rapids, but they had an even larger rapids and falls still to get through. But before the attempt, they were quietly stopped in that pool, just resting.


It was a lesson in peace and rest. We often live chaotic lives and sometimes think we actually thrive in chaos. The crazy fast rapids over jagged, ragged rocks mesmerize us like no deep still pool can. Activity, keeping busy, like rapids, is exciting. Resting, taking time to be still and know God, is "boring", and besides, who has the time? But it's in the pools of rest that we gather the strength to tackle the rapids.


It brought home yet again how important rest is. How I remember the most difficult times of my life, where it seemed everything was or could fall apart, were also in the midst of my most busy times; career obligations, children, sports, school, and I seldom if ever took the time to rest. I mean, who has time, right? Or, if I did find time to rest, my impatience "waiting on the Lord" grew too thin or I was distracted by all the things I thought were more pressing.


Back then, the buzz word was "simplify your life", and I began to understand that if I did not make the time to rest, I would remain in chaos, and contrary to what I told myself, no one actually thrives there. So I made a point of dropping a few things, and I made a point of taking at least 10 - 15 minutes a day of just me and God time, and lo and behold, as I learned how to rest, the jagged, ragged places, the rapids, got easier to get through.


I rest alot more these days. It's important. It's life! Daily time in the Word, daily time talking with my Father in Heaven, daily time just "meditating" on things in silence, or days like yesterday, where the entire day was spent in His creation, absorbing the beauty of His majesty, soaking up the sights, and marveling at the company (and wisdom) of a man I am falling in love with all over again. And I feel rested, at peace, and strengthened, ready for the rapids.


If salmon do not stop to rest in each pool they find, they will die in the next set of rapids. Finding places, times and ways to rest is that important. To coin a phrase...we have to "just do it".

Comments

  1. Wow Rena, very powerful. That is exactly where Wayne and I are in our life. It confirms many things for us. Thanks for your obedience to write - it blesses me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking as a Metaphor for Marriage

The Brotherly Agreement.....of the Moravian Church

What's in the Cup?