Counting Costs

Our most recent assignment has us counting the costs of conflict.  My team had a "moodle" discussion about that today and during one of my turns to speak, I said,

"The ultimate cost of any conflict will be the destruction of the goal you fought for in the first place and that will play out.  It might not play out today, it might not play out tomorrow, but eventually, at some point, the goal that you fought for today and continue to fight for, will become destroyed by the atmosphere and the attitude that is generated into the future because of that intractability".

 Sometimes the things that come out of my mouth are happy accidents and I have no clue where they came from.

But think about it.

When we are in a deep conflict, we think about our goals and then fight for them tooth and nail.  Maybe we win.  We often count the cost as being the relationship that was damaged and that is a dire cost indeed.  But what about the goal itself?  Is my means to my end a seed for future destruction or at the very least, does it render the goal less satisfying? 

We often ask if the costs are worth the win; that is a very valid question and I would add to it, am I prepared to see my goal disintegrate because it was won with an attitude of competition, or hate, or discord rather than achieved with a heart of love or collaboration or shared power.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking as a Metaphor for Marriage

The Brotherly Agreement.....of the Moravian Church

What's in the Cup?