Heart of Flesh or Heart of Stone


Continuing on with my thoughts about the dangers of hard heartedness. I talked about the potential end result danger of hard heartedness in a previous posts about Cain and Abel and then expanded that with what happens if we allow too much time to pass in my post about the need for immediacy.


And now I have a question. How come we harden our hearts in the first place? Are we self protecting? Are we incapable of seeing the other person as a fellow human, also loved and created by God? Or are they an it, a mere object in my way? Or do we miss the grace in the moment that lofty callings like forgiveness, empathy and loving our enemies sneak up on us? Are we so intent on being right and of winning that we miss the gift of love? Or are we simply selfish? And what about idols in our heart? Our "if onlys", those demands that have convinced that "if only" this or that will happen, then all will be as it should be. The idols in our hearts - those things we can't live without and refuse to give up and take God's place in our lives - are hardening agents if ever there was one.


Defensive, rationalization, justification, excuse making, blaming, deflecting, building allies to our cause and religious pride are all things that contribute to our hearts becoming hardened and yet many people don't see this. Rather, we picture overt sin, ignoring conviction, and deliberate disobedience as the reason our hearts harden; and of course, that is true too, but it's the hardening that occurs over time, so slowly it's hardly noticed, that I'm talking about. And that's the kind that we need to guard against.


God makes several promises about helping us keep our hearts compliant and surrendered before Him. In Ezekial 36:25 - 27, God promises, "Then I will sprinkle clean water on you and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put my spirit within you and cause you to walk in my statutes".


What a wonderful promise! When my heart hardens towards another person and I'm at a loss on how to love them the way He has asked me to, it is comforting to know that He will cleanse me and give me a heart of flesh.


But, then here is another thought. What if I do what God asks, and give up my demands, defenses, justifications etc, and with grace, confess and seek forgiveness and or willingly forgive them, soften my heart towards them and they use it against me? They hurt me? Won't my new heart of flesh be doubly wounded again? There is, after all, a reason we hold our hearts in self protection so dangerous that they become cemented in.


But, here again is another wonderful promise. "My flesh and my heart may fail but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever". (Psalm 73:26) The translated word for "strength" in this passage is "boulder". And therein lies the promise - you don't have to harden our hearts when you understand that God Himself is the boulder of your heart. Our own measly attempts to self protect pale in comparison.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking as a Metaphor for Marriage

The Brotherly Agreement.....of the Moravian Church

What's in the Cup?